3.03.2006

What the hell is this?

I work in a dental office, but I have cavities? Seriously, I thought my position granted me some immunity to tooth decay, but I see now that I was dead wrong. Pfff. Silly molars.

Speaking of molars, I am working on perfecting the art of the random subject change. The best example of a topic switch I've heard all week? In a discussion about identity, and how we people tend to define ourselves by clothes, possessions, smarty-pants books, etc., a friend of mine jumped in with, "See, this is exactly why I didn't like jail," and then proceeded with a bizarre anecdote about how he spent one day in jail and hated it. I laughed so hard I nearly fell off my chair, even though the story wasn't particularly funny (cellmates? Bad food and violence? Not funny at all, really). It wasn't until this morning that I realized he never mentioned what he was in jail for.

Which reminds me, if you buy one CD this week, make it Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I Am Not, by Arctic Monkeys. Listening to them makes me wish desperately that I had a British accent.

2 comments:

that one guy said...

Heh, it's like you discovered the "lost" verse to Alanis Morsette's song "Ironic."

Also, I'm not feeling the love for the Arctic Monkeys... but maybe I am crazy? I don't know. I just know that their album was on and then off my iPod in less than 12 hours.

Thea said...

No way! I'm madly in love with Arctic Monkeys, and of course not everyone will share my enthusiasm, but I love their lyrics and their melodies and the guy's semi-sleazy voice...Their music is more complicated than it sounds initially, and that's a big plus.