12.31.2005

So long, 2005!

A few things I'm thankful for, in no particular order:

  • my family--seems like I get more and more thankful for them every year

  • afternoons spent in the park, reading House of Leaves and napping

  • daylight (we see precious little of it, this time of year)

  • the fact that nothing on our car has broken in the last few months...

  • Patty Griffin, Living With Ghosts

  • the many quiet rows of shelves at Henderson Books

  • Firefly, Serenity (that's right, I saw Serenity, and I'm thankful for it)

  • the 16 hour, one-day drive from Salt Lake City to Bellingham in 100+ degree heat

  • for that matter, the stretches of country one sees while on a roadtrip--bland, and otherwise

  • The White Stripes, Get Behind Me Satan

  • an apartment on the busline, with pretty wood floors and our own water heater

  • my Thriftshop Junkies hoodie--it's seen me through plenty and will probably be retired soon

  • Arrested Development

  • my brother, who is funny and fun

  • Prismacolor double-ended art markers

  • the pool room at the Nightlight

  • beautiful handmade acoustic guitars

  • reconnecting with old friends and finding that we have more in common now than we ever did in high school

  • Amtrak, and the funny conductor who plays the harmonica when we reach our destination

  • French press coffee

  • people-watching at the Temple Bar

  • oh, I'll say it, no use pretending: my iPod. I'm thankful for my iPod.

  • Coconut Almond Chocolate Chunk ice cream from Mallard's

  • books in general, great books in specific

  • having my own desk at last, for writing and painting and making a mess

  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, J.K. Rowling

  • midnight at the Husky Stadium

  • the North Fork Brewery

  • my tattoo, and this year being the year that I worked up the nerve (and cash) to finally get it

  • living in the county

  • living in town

  • hand-knitted hats and scarves and wrist-warmers

  • library book sales

  • my husband, who is the coolest ever, and who lets me read things out of context to him, even when he's trying to study

  • Tegan and Sara, So Jealous

  • my job, the wonderful people I work with

  • National Novel Writing Month

  • Fiamma Burgers--the best burgers in the world

  • free time--I tell you, being out of school at last still hasn't lost its charm, no matter that I graduated two years ago

  • kittens! That's right, kittens.
  • No comments: