8.08.2006

Down home cookin'

The weather report for Rolla, Missouri? Hot. Stinkin' hot. I know this because I just got back from spending five days there with my husband and his eNORmous extended family--163 people turned out for the family reunion, which was in his great-aunt's backyard. And we had a great time, better than I think either of us dared hope. Here are some fun things we did:

  • Ate our body weight in fried chicken, baked beans, butter cake, brownies, casseroles, ham, sweet tea, chocolate cream pie and more that I have forgotten, but that my belly has not.

  • Went cruising down a river at 30 miles an hour on a river boat. It was gorgeous--we saw turtles, turkey vultures, bald eagles, dragonflies, butterflies and a spider the size of my hand.

  • Jumped on a trampoline with Mitch and his cousin--we are not so small anymore, and we nearly launched one another off onto the lawn several times. In 100-degree, high-humidity weather, this made me sweat like crazy.

  • Swam a lot, both in the river and in an aunt's swimming pool.

  • Read up on Rosenburg family history. Got a chance to read Mitch's great-grandmother's Bible, which is roughly 100 years old.

  • Went horseback riding. I've riden maybe twice, and Mitch never, so it was colorful. Especially as I ended up on a momma horse who would not leave her colt behind--she was constantly trying to turn back and nip at him, while he attempted several times to kick at her, playfully, narrowly missing my shins.

  • Ate at McDonald's for the first time in...four years? I had the fruit & yogurt cup.

  • Spent more time in SeaTac airport than I care to repeat (flight delayed, and then changed), eating frozen yogurt with rainbow sprinkles with Mitch, staring at people, and riding the underground trains unnecessarily.

  • We had more fun than there is time to tell.

    No comments: