2.04.2007

My new favorite cookies

I know they sound weird and gross, but trust me: they're amazing. (I wish I could say that I don't say that lightly, but I do: I say that all the time. Recently, I've said this about avgolemeno soup, that song by 16 Horsepower--the one with the concertina, concertinas in general, the Temple Bar's house wine, and Jonathan Safran Foer.)

But, without further ado, I give you:

EARL GREY TEA COOKIES


In a food processor (or mixer) combine:
  • 1/2 c. (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 3 T light brown sugar
  • 2 T granulated sugar
  • a scant 1/4 t kosher salt
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 4 t finely ground Earl Grey tea (cut open 4 tea bags and extract tea; or use loose tea; grind it to a powder in a blender or clean coffee grinder)
Process to a light fluffy paste, 20-30 seconds. Remove the lid and add:
  • 3/4 c. plus 2 T flour
  • 3 T cornstarch
Pulse until the dough begins to clump together and the mixture is fairly uniform, 8 to 10 times. Gather the dough together into a rough ball, kneading a few times if necessary.

Shape the dough as desired into rounds (sliced from a chilled log) or press into a pan; chill. Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven until the edges are barely colored.

(I stole this recipe from Sally Schneider's The Improvisational Cook. This book is also amazing.)

No comments: