8.25.2005

Book Review: OFFSHORE, by Penelope Fitzgerald

OFFSHORE is a very pretty little book about houseboats on the Thames River, but it's pretty in a gray, slightly British way. The characters are quirky and intriguing. A lot happens in not very many pages, which I appreciate, and it happens in an artful, subtle fashion. Fitzgerald's got some skills, that much I'll say. And with them, she won the Booker Prize.

I've been intrigued with her for awhile, having only heard of her simply because her skinny, brightly-colored books have half a shelf to themselves at my favorite bookstore--and I came across them often while looking up F. Scott Fitzgerald. Finally, in a fit of whimsey (if there is such a thing), I bought one. And I liked it.

I might even go buy another.

RATING: 3

No comments: