9.19.2005

Book Review: BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, by Truman Capote

Two things I've been half-heartedly meaning to do for a long time:
1) watch Breakfast at Tiffany's, and
2) read something by Truman Capote.

Funny coincidence that Capote wrote the book, BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S? Who knew TIFFANY'S was even a book in the first place? Okay, well, I didn't.

At any rate, I came across TIFFANY'S in a used bookshop and found that once I started thumbing through it, I couldn't stop--I ended up twenty pages into it, wholly engrossed in Miss Holly Golightly, Traveling, before I managed to tear myself away to purchase the book.

Capote's writing is every bit like writing should be: crisp, concise, never laden down by excessive description, but certainly not leaving anything out. His descriptions are well-chosen, his sentences expertly designed--so well put-together that they feel accidental, as though they fell out of his pen, just like that.

"Breakfast at Tiffany's" is actually a long short story, so at the end of the book, three other short stories are included. All three of them are wonderful as well.

In fact, the only thing I could find to complain about was the fact that I had that damn "Breakfast at Tiffany's" song (who sings that anyway?) stuck in my head nearly the entire time I read the book. Bah. It's such a whiny song, too.

RATING: 4

No comments: